Utility Service Payment Assistance


The program provides financial assistance for utilities for low-income people in Los Angeles County. Service is provided through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LI HEAP), commonly known as HEAP. The program provides utility bill assistance for low-income residents of Los Angeles County. The program cannot assist people who are undocumented; the program can assist permanent legal residents. Applicants must reside where they are applying for utility bill assistance. Applications are accepted at four community organizations and several satellite offices. Satellite offices are available to assist some people who may not live in the immediate area of the four community organizations. Geographic restrictions apply for each application site.

The program provides assistance once per year to help low-income households reduce energy consumption and/or help pay energy bills. The total household monthly income must meet Poverty Guidelines for the program. Priority is given to households with older adults, people with disabilities and families with children 6 years and younger. The program does not provide reconnection costs, deposit fees, or emergency assistance; the program will pay current, late or disconnect utility bills. It takes approximately eight to twelve weeks to process an application; incomplete or incorrect application will take additional time to process. The program is divided into three components: the Cash Assistance Payments Program (CAP); the Energy Crisis Intervention Services (ECIS); and the Weatherization Program.

The CAP program provides financial assistance to offset heating and/or cooling costs. Assistance in the form of a direct payment to a utility company on behalf of the eligible applicant. The amount of the grant is based on: 1)The county in which the applicant lives; 2)household size; 3)income; and 4)funding ability. The applicant’s actual energy costs are a factor in determining the priority of service. The program provides assistance once every 365 days.

The ECIS program provides cash assistance for gas and electric utility services for weather-related or energy-related emergencies. This program works similarly to the CAP program except the application process is faster than normal.

The Weatherization Program provides free weatherization services to reduce energy consumption. Services include replacement of inefficient refrigerators, electric water heaters, microwaves and lighting. Additional services include attic insulation, weather-stripping, minor housing repairs and other related energy conservation measures. Cooling systems are not provided, but assistance with the repair of an existing unit may be available.

The Energy Services Provider Directory is available online. APPLICATION PROCEDURE Call to apply; an appointment is required. Documentation requirements include social security cards. Senior, disabled, and homebound individuals should call the agency to receive an application by mail. People with disconnect notices may receive an emergency appointment, which is usually within 1 or 2 days.

Individuals may apply for HEAP once in a 12 month period.

If you are interested in applying for the Weatherization program, complete the form for the program that comes with the HEAP application. For more information or to receive an application, contact the agency. Proof of all sources of energy (utility bills, receipts from wood, propane or oil purchases, rental receipts if utilities are included in rent) and proof of income for all household members are required; different agencies may require additional documentation such as ID for all family members and proof of residence. FEES/PAYMENT SOURCE There are no fees for service.

Application Procedure
Appointment Required
Call to Apply
Walk in to Apply
Service Condition Fee


1055 Wilshire Blvd., Ste. 900E

Los Angeles , CA 90017 (Physical)


Service hours
Monday through Thursday, 8:00am to 3:00pm. Please call the agency to schedule an appointment. Senior, disabled, and homebound applicants, can either come to the office or call to request an application. Applicants with a 48-hour or 15-day shut off notice can come to the office with the required documents for assistance.




Spread the love